Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Basic Equations

I must say that I thought today would be more difficult than it was. I was impressed. We have spent weeks working on integers and then basic one-step equations. Today we practiced two-step equations and the students did a fantastic job.

A few wanted to know why they had to learn the steps, "when I can see that x is going to equal one." I whipped out a copy of the Algebra I book I borrowed for just such an occasion. We passed it around and talked about how some of them would be doing those problems in as little time as a year and a half and the rest within two and a half years.

I thinked they were shocked when they saw what math will be for them soon. I'm not sure they were scared, but they were much more receptive to "working out the steps." We have our basic equations test coming up on the 7th. We have a half day on the 8th, which we will use to do test corrections. The 9th and 10th will be reserved for our third benchmark test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home